Friday, February 13, 2009

Parking Meters

The other day I was buying a parking ticket and the machine was doing this thing they sometimes do where they clock-up time for some coins but don't for others, and this machine had just ignored 3 of my twenty-cent coins in a row. So I thought, bugger this, I'm gonna leave a note on my dashboard: Ticket Machine Not Working. Well, it worked (the sign that is) because I didn't get booked.

Afterward, I drove to a few other places and instead of buying a ticket I just left the note there each time I parked. Then suddenly it occurred to me - those ticket machines are very temperamental. They're always breaking down. And sometimes they're not working one minute and then they're working the next. Who's gonna argue with a hand-written sign on a dashboard? So now I just leave the sign there permanently. No more tickets for me. The only thing is, the note is starting to look a bit faded from the sun.

So I'm gonna write a new note, only this time I'll have it laminated! That way it'll last for ages. Genius.

4 comments:

Enthusiastic Hack said...

You know, this post seemed funny at the time, but now that I read it I think it doesn't really work. Hmmm. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

No no, it works alright. I like it, in a "Charlie Pickering's colum in the City Weekly" kind of way ...


... is that a good thing?

Anonymous said...

+n

ArmoredCombatVehicle said...

This doesn't work. When you leave a note on your dash any parking inspector that wanders past can check back with the people that run the meters to see if your sign is legit. You usually have to call a phone number on the meter and explain to them that the meter is faulty and they give you a reference number. The fact that your note is absent of a reference number is usually enough for them to write you an infringement notice anyway. I know this because it happended to me.