Thursday, September 25, 2008

Book Review: From Rock to Rock


I found the most wonderfully educational book this week. It’s called ‘From Rock to Rock: The Music of Darkness Exposed.’ It was written in 1990 by a Christian named Eric Barger, and it provides a detailed analysis of popular rock music, explaining how the Devil uses rock n roll to influence the kiddies.

It explains back-masking, subliminal messages, cross-dressing, and even AC-DCs ‘satanic lightning bolt,’ but the central feature of the book is what it calls the ‘Rock Music Rating System’ in which it outlines 10 criteria for judging whether a band is Satanic. It then lists hundreds of bands from A-Z, and next to their name identifies which of the criteria each artist fulfils.
And if you thought you knew which bands to be wary of, think again! According to the list, The Police (with 9 criteria) are more evil than Ozzy Osbourne (8), Duran Duran (7) are more evil than Megadeth (6), and even Bananarama (6) are more evil than Metallica (5)!!

Other artists on the list include: The Bee Gees (4), Fleetwood Mac (5), Neil Diamond (2), and Rod Stewart (3). In fact, speaking of Rod Stewart, it says ‘If you’re singing along with Rod, how can you be walking with God?’ [man, I wanna put that on a T-shirt]. And if Rod Stewart aint bad enough, the author considers Lionel Ritchie (3) especially evil, and gives this dire warning: ‘Christians should abstain from supporting his artistry with no questions asked.’

And apparently even pretend bands can be evil; Spinal Tap gets 3 gongs.

But there is only one band in the list that fulfills all 10 criteria, and yes, you guessed it, it’s The Rolling Stones. The most EVIL band in the world!

[I have a feeling I will be quoting from this book a lot]

6 comments:

BaSiL said...

Bananarama?!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ArmoredCombatVehicle said...

I have got to get me a copy of this book, Bananarama more evil than Metallica is classic! 1990 though so the Black Album was still a year away.
Do they just stick to Rock 'n Roll? I wonder what they think of someone like Mayhem, or Cannibal Corpse, or any of the other Norwegian Black Metal crew. Mind you, a lot of those guys started in 1990 as well.

Aqua said...

I have a feeling I am going to be regaled with quotes from this book incessantly, regardless of my interest level (read zero) until I am a veritable expert on this book, quoting it in my sleep.....sigh.

Enthusiastic Hack said...

Oh Yeah, you better believe it, honey. I am obsessed with this book.

BaSiL said...

how many criteria does Stay Off the Crack meet??!

I just stumbled on some of their music on my bf's computer today - he didnt even tell me you'd finished putting the songs together!! It sounds RAD!!!! (and possibly....eeeevviiilll)

Anonymous said...

If you want some really good "Rock & Roll" is evil stuff from the eighties, you need to look up the early work of Pat Mesiti, who is now more concerned with making you a millionaire than saving your soul from AC/DC. http://www.mesiti.com/