Saturday, August 30, 2008

Satire

I have just realised the secret of Satire: Basically, you can make the most controversial, sexist, racist, bigoted comments, and then when people complain about it, you just say 'hey, can't you tell I'm just being ironic?' Then these same people suddenly feel so stupid for 'not getting it' that they pretend to understand the complex satirical subtext of your politically incorrect assertions, and they go around saying how clever and ironic you are, and then they write essays, and publish opinion pieces that explore the intricacies of your 'art', in which they carefully dissect every statement you ever make, and hail you as this wonderfully brilliant culture-jammer. 'The voice for our generation' they say. For example, when I make a statement on this blog such as: "why isn't that woman in the kitchen making my dinner?" you need to assume that my comment is actually really insightful social commentary laced with irony and satire (see, that way I can have my cake and eat it too!) So, I have realised there is a very fine line between being clever and being a complete bogan; and that word is: Satire.

4 comments:

BaSiL said...

I find it really interesting that this post has a label 'women's issues' - which sounds like something from a menstrual cycle.

too much?

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! "Women's Issues"! That TOTALLY sounds like PMS. Hello BaSiL. *waves*

I've just dropped in after a bit of an absence, and I see no entry about Mike Googlin'Hoochie ... did you have an attack of conscience?

Enthusiastic Hack said...

Yeah. Let's just call it a case of "self-censorship." The Michael Googlin'Hoochie post was up for a few hours, but then I took it down because I thought it might be too controversial. That's not usually like me, is it?

Anonymous said...

Pussy.


; )