Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My parents' foray into the world of high culture

I was having dinner at my parents’ house the other night when my mum proceeds to tell me how ‘cultured’ they are becoming. ‘Oh yes’ she said ‘we went to the opera last week. I even got your dad to come along with me. How cultured is that, hey?’ I must admit I was quite impressed and asked which opera it was. ‘I can’t remember’ she said ‘it was by the New York Opera company or something like that.’ I thought, OK, so she can’t remember the name of the opera, whatever, who cares, that’s no big deal, so I asked her where they went to see it. She said ‘at the Sun Theatre.’ I said ‘do you mean the movie cinema?’ ‘Oh yeah’ she said ‘it was at the movies. They showed it on the big screen. It was filmed in New York.’ I was thinking, hang on a sec, you mean to say you watched a pre-filmed opera at the movie theatre, when just then my dad joins the conversation. ‘It wasn’t bad, I guess’ he said ‘except I thought the main chick was a bit too fat. These guys were supposed to be chasing after her or whatever, but it just didn’t work for me.’ So then I said to mum ‘wow, it looks like you and dad really are becoming cultured, ooh la la. Look out!’ To which she replied, ‘Oh yeah, and if you think the opera is classy, well the week before that we went to see a musical. Do you know the musical Wicked?’




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well your parents are the height of sophistication. I must admit to feeling inferior whenever I'm around them; they are quite obviously part of the intellectual and cultural elite. The fact that they attended the opera at the sun theatre just confirms this.

Anonymous said...

I once watched a ballet. On my iPod. To be honest though, I downloaded it by mistake. I thought it was pr0n. in my defence, the title was in german - it was an easy mistake to make. Could have happened to anyone.