Monday, May 31, 2010

Children's television

Having a young daughter has meant I am watching children's TV shows for the first time in more than 20 years. And I must say, watching them again as an adult, a few things have become quite apparent:

1. Every character on these shows, whether they be a human, puppet, or some kind of bizarre human-puppet-uncanny valley-hybrid, are completely and utterly OFF THEIR FACES! They are stoned, wasted, high as a kite, call it what you will, but these cuddly creatures are on another planet altogether (and I'm not talking about the planet Spot). The thing is, how am I supposed to teach my kids to stay away from drugs when every show they watch looks like it was made by Cheech and Chong?

2. Bert and Ernie are gay. There is no two ways about it. They are the epitome of a gay couple. They live together, sleep in the same room and bicker like husband and wife. I never saw this as a kid. But it's so freaking obvious!

3. Representations of farming life are, like, sooo Victorian-era, man. Where are the battery hens? Where are the GM-crops? Where are the Monsanto heavies bullying mom-and-pop farms out of business? Get with the times, children's television programming.

1 comment:

delia said...

I was talking to a friend about Play School the other day, and we were reminiscing about how cool John was, do you remember?

It made me think, they probably wouldn't cast a (probably drunk) old guy in kid's TV shows these days.

Your post made me think maybe I'm wrong in a way, it seems they've just swapped addictive substances.