Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Triple J's Hottest 100 of all time

This is an actual conversation I heard on Triple J during the Hottest 100 of all time countdown:


RICHARD KINGSMILLE: It’s amazing. Jeff Buckley only released one album during his lifetime, yet he’s managed to have three songs in the Hottest 100. And two of those songs even made the top ten.

ZAN ROWE: Oh, yes Richard. It is pretty amazing. But what an amazing man he was. He was so beautiful.

KINGSMILLE: Yes. So beautiful. I remember the first time I heard Last Goodbye. I was standing in my kitchen and the song was so electrifying I stripped naked, poured yoghurt all over my body and did the funky chicken dance.

ROWE: That’s nothing. The first time I heard Last Goodbye I constructed a make-shift alter next to my bed and bowed down and worshipped the Almighty Buckley.

KINGSMILLE: We have somebody on the line who also shares a special love for the holy one.

RANDOM CALLER: Hi guys. Like most Triple J listeners, I absolutely love Jeff Buckley. In fact, I’m planning to travel to his gravesite, exhume his remains, and make passionate love to his decaying form. It’s been my life-long dream.

ROWE: Wow! That sounds lovely. Can I join?

KINGSMILLE: Yeah, me too. I want some Buckley corpse-love as well.

ROWE: Ooh, ooh, I bags the Mojo Pin.

KINGSMILLE: I can’t wait. It sure beats whacking-off to his poster for a change.

4 comments:

BaSiL said...

i actualled "LOL-ed" at this post. Yet another fine example of your passionate hate for the Buckley. If you're going to include "Hallelujah" as a top song, does it have to be the Buckley cover? BLAH.

Zac said...

I would rather listen to Nathan Buckley singing than Jeff Buckley.

Enthusiastic Hack said...

...Make that FOUR songs! Can you believe it? FOUR SONGS in the hottest 100 of all time. Let's put that in perspective, shall we?

Guns n Roses - 1 song
The Smiths - 1 song
Bowie - 1 song
Beach Boys - 1 song
Jimi Hendrix - 1 song
The Pixies - 1 song
Nick Cave - 1 song
Bob Dylan - 1 song
The Strokes - no songs
Black Sabbath - no songs
U2 - no songs
Jeff Buckley - FOUR songs

Unknown said...

he probably just slept with the right people and signed the right 'below-the-table' agreements before he died.